The Student News Site of South Texas BETA

The Legal Battle Over ‘Net Neutrality’

April 6, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Legal Battle Over ‘Net Neutrality’

Courtesy of Pixaby

Courtesy of Pixaby

Courtesy of Pixaby

States have make good on their promise to fight for net neutrality after it was repealed at the federal level by the Federal Communications Commissions (FCC) in December of 2017.

Montana Governor Steve Bullock recently signed an executive order effectively barring state agencies from doing business with internet service providers that violate net neutrality. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo followed in Montana’s footstep and instituted a similar law. This legislation followed a lawsuit filed by 21 states and the District of Columbia challenging the FCC’s decision to overturn its stance on net neutrality.

Thus, it appears that state officials have attempted to undo the aforementioned repeal. And so far, the states that support net neutrality seems to follow up on their threat. Major US telecoms are now suing the states over the passing of pro net neutrality laws which these companies don’t approve of. The companies believe that states should not have legal jurisdiction over net neutrality and that it would be too much of a hassle filling out the different patches of paperwork state by state.

Not only that, US telecoms state that it would cost them too much money and result in an economic deficit. They believe that net neutrality laws would benefit the consumers more than it would the companies themselves.

Both major telecoms and the pro net neutrality states are suing to get their way in legal matters surrounding this issue. The results into this inquiry demonstrate the ongoing struggle between individual freedoms and economic sustainability.