The Student News Site of South Texas BETA

BETA Mariachi Performs for STISD School Board

February 9, 2018

The BETA Mariachi.

Ana Perez

The BETA Mariachi.

On Tuesday, January 23rd, at 6:15 pm, the BETA Mariachi boarded a bus so as to perform for the school board at Science Academy in Mercedes. Some students loaded all the instruments, others dressed in trajes–or the uniforms that the mariachi wear–and others gathered their music. Once that was all done, the BETA mariachi was on their way.

After a lengthy bus ride, the mariachi students arrived at Science Academy and unloaded their instruments at Biblioteca Las Americas: the library shared between Science Academy and Med-High. The mariachi group patiently waited while the school board was discussing with their administrators regarding future plans for the district. Once they were finished, the students played their one song, “Los Machetes.”

“It was fun and nerve racking,” said Jessica Santana, violin player and singer.

Julia Rodriguez

The board members all stood up and applauded following the short performance. The musicians walked around the table and shook all the board members’ hands, some members offering hugs and compliments.

“It was pretty amazing,” said Andrew Galban, guitarron player.

The mariachi performers hope to attend more board meetings and get booked for other “gigs.”

Do you know a place where the mariachi can perform? Let us know down below in the comments.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “BETA Mariachi Performs for STISD School Board”

1. Miriam Casas on February 11th, 2018 5:01 pm

Hey it’s miriam, and I gotta say Julia, you did a great job of promoting the Mariachi through this article!

2. Jorge Cortez on February 23rd, 2018 3:10 pm

This was a fun and interesting experience. I hope to continue playing with beta as Learn these challenging songs.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Tornado Press • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in