The Student News Site of South Texas BETA

US suffers 11 school shootings since the start of 2018

February 9, 2018

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

The United States has already suffered at least eleven shootings within school grounds in just the second month of the year. Our hearts are broken over the casualties and sufferings of numerous families all around the nation. We cannot do much to alter the situations of the wounded, but what we can do is be aware and take initiative to prevent such disasters in the future.

Salvador B. Castro Middle School, California

On February 1st, a 12 year old girl brought a gun to her Los Angeles middle school. She was not aware that the gun was loaded and when she dropped her backpack, the gun went off. A 15-year-old boy suffered a gunshot to the temple.  Fortunately, the doctors were able to save him. A 15- year- old girl was shot in the wrist and hospitalized. Two younger students suffered graze wounds, and a 30 year old woman suffered a minor injury. The shooting was declared an accident.

Marshall County High School, Kentucky

A 15- year – old opened fire at Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky on January 23, resulting in twenty teachers and students sustaining injuries with two 15- year -old student casualties. The shooter was taken under custody and charged with two counts of murder and 12 counts of first degree assault.

Italy High School, Texas

On January 22, a 16- year- old male student shot at and harmed multiple victims in the school’s cafeteria. While using a semi-automatic handgun, he injured a 15 -year- old female student. The shooter was charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The targeted female student was said to have briefly dated the shooter. It was noted that she left him for another student who the suspect also tried to shoot.

Aztec High School, New Mexico

William Atchison, 21, pretended to be a student to enter the grounds of Aztec High School in Aztec, New Mexico, on December 7, 2017. He was supposedly an alumnus of the school. The gunman murdered three students before shooting himself.

Rancho Tehama Elementary School, California

A 44 year old gunman, Kevin Neal, killed five people and wounded at least twelve others on November 14, 2017. He shot at the portable classrooms of Rancho Tehama Elementary School. He was targeting a kindergarten classroom, but was not able to get in due to an immediate school lock down.

Matoon High School, Illinois

A male student tried to shoot a peer at Mattoon High School’s cafeteria on September 20,2017. A female teacher was able to disarm the student so no further harm was done, and the perpetrator was taken into custody.

Freeman High School, Washington

A 15 -year -old male student, Caleb Sharpe, shot at fellow classmates on September 13, 2017. He killed one person who allegedly bullied the suspect, and injured three other students. A school janitor was able to subdue the shooter, hindering further injuries. Sharpe told officials that he brought the two guns to school to “teach everyone a lesson about what happens when you bully others.”

As tragedies like the ones mention sweep through our nation, we must figure out what the underlying cause is. Is it the conservative politicians who are liberal with nothing but their gun laws? Is it the American school system being unable to ward off violence? Or is it the unalterable evil that lies within ourselves?

1 Comment

One Response to “US suffers 11 school shootings since the start of 2018”

1. Jorge Cortez on February 20th, 2018 10:31 am

Honestly there is not one single solution to to stopping these types of shootings. People are often quick to point the finger at guns, or mental health. But honestly have you ever thought about what would happen if Congress passed gun reform for AR-15’s Or Bump Stocks? Honestly I think nothing to change. They would just Find another gun until guns get banned altogether. Well If there are no more guns in America that should stop school shootings right? Yea obviously, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t going to be school stabbings, and to be honest are we really going to ban knives in america?. I can also hear people saying ” Lets just make it harder foe people to get guns with background checks”. I guarantee that 5 out of the 7 incidents in this story the guns were stolen from a parent or family member and only 2 were purchased legally. Banning guns will do nothing because people will just find something else to kill with.

“Guns Don’t Kill People, People Kill People. Of course people with guns kill more people, but that’s only natural. It’s hard. But It’s fair.”
    -Edward Abby.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Tornado Press • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in