The Student News Site of South Texas BETA

‘Promposal’ culture and what it says about us

February 1, 2018

Courtesy of Flickr

Courtesy of Flickr

From the flashy clothes to dancing and having fun with friends, prom is one of the most exciting aspects of senior year in high school. Sure, everyone wants to know who’s asking who, but what seems to hold even more significance is how someone gets asked.

Although what we now call “promposals” aren’t anything new, overtime, boys and girls have become extremely creative with how they invite one another to prom. Today, simply asking, “will you go to prom with me?” does not seem to be enough. Our generation is concerned with outdoing one another and showing off –and prom is an opportunity to do exactly that. Everyone wants to have the best date, the prettiest dress, the nicest tux. The most extravagant promposal.

Many people enjoy grand gestures and being the center of attention; It’s nice to feel special for a moment. However, although the idea of making such a big deal out of the invitation is charming to many, it also puts a lot of pressure on the person being asked to accept the invitation. Who’s going to reject a guy with a giant poster and flowers in front of the whole school? It’s almost as if you must go with whoever asks you because of all the effort they put in to asking.

Our generation has seen some pretty over the top promposals from plastering cars with sticky notes to gigantic posters with clever puns. Last year, then Jordan Fuller from Ohio asked his date by mapping a 5-mile run that spelled out “Prom?” That same year, student Ty Myers from Tennessee jumped out of a plane with a poster that read “I’m falling for U! Prom?”

Though it may seem as though some promposals are impossible to transcend, I have no doubt that there are many creative minds out there who will come up with other unique and fun ways to ask a simple question.

1 Comment

One Response to “‘Promposal’ culture and what it says about us”

1. Aliyah on May 3rd, 2018 8:45 am

OMG i did not think of all of this! I am still very excited for prom though haha!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Tornado Press • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in