The Student News Site of South Texas BETA

BETA hosts its inaugural 5K run

January 26, 2018

Caleb+Garza+running+along+the+trail.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

BETA hosts its inaugural 5K run

Caleb Garza running along the trail.

Caleb Garza running along the trail.

Dr. Ana Villarreal

Caleb Garza running along the trail.

Dr. Ana Villarreal

Dr. Ana Villarreal

Caleb Garza running along the trail.

On Saturday, Jan 13, 2018, BETA hosted its Inaugural 5K at the Edinburg Municipal Park, which began at 8 A.M. and concluded at 10 A.M.

The cost for registration was $25 per runner and $20 for groups of 5 or more.  Over 100 professional runners were in attendance besides students, faculty, parents and volunteers. Custom awards were given out to the Top 3 overall male/female finishers as well as T-shirts and 3 inch finisher medals which were handed out to everyone who crossed the finish line.

BETA students were excited to participate in spite of the chilly weather. Students and family showed their support by actively involving themselves in the run and to the delight of the school, over 200 people attended the 5K.

BETA Teachers & Students
The starting line for BETA’s Inaugural 5K.

BETA math teacher, Vicky Leonardelli, participating in the 5k with her two children.

BETA Tornado interview with Christopher Lopez:

What did you think of the inaugural event?

“The 5K was really fun. I had a good time running and working out with friends. I’m glad I had an alternative way to both help my community and give back to my school,” Christopher Lopez, a current sophomore at BETA said.When asked as to what was his favorite part of the event, Christopher responded saying that “the highlight of the race was when the unknown runner dressed as the ‘Flash’ took first place. I anticipate the next 5K with the intention of participating.”

Another person that attended was Vanessa Del Toro who helped pass out water to the runners. She said that “although I didn’t get to run in the race, I was happy to see the excitement on people’s faces as they crossed the finish line with their friends and family! It was truly a memorable moment for me, especially when some of my favorite teachers crossed the finish line! I got to hang out with friends as well, all in all it was a lot of fun.”

Most runners stated that they would participate in the next race, which is tentatively scheduled for the winter of 2019.