The Student News Site of South Texas BETA

Review: ‘Reputation’ by Taylor Swift

December 6, 2017

Back to Article
Back to Article

Review: ‘Reputation’ by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift in concert in 2017

Taylor Swift in concert in 2017

Wikipedia

Taylor Swift in concert in 2017

Wikipedia

Wikipedia

Taylor Swift in concert in 2017

Who knew a music video could hold so much symbolism? “Look What You Made Me Do” has left most who’ve heard it speechless. After releasing such an astonishing music video with so many questions, the public knew that Taylor Swift’s sixth studio-album, “Reputation,” was going to be an interesting experience to say the least.

Well folks, everybody knows it–Taylor Swift has a lot more rivalries and feuds than any one person can count. Knowing Swift, her work reflects her personal issues and feelings. Her music also has a lot more emotional undertones than initially meets the eye, especially in this album. And with “Reputation,” Swift has answered everyone’s questions clearly–if not overtly.

Album cover for ‘Reputation.’

“It’s the first album to sell a million copies in a tracking week in nearly 2 years, since Adele’s 25 sold 1.16 million copies.” Billboard says. According to Billboard, 1.05 million copies of the album were sold in the U.S. in just 4 days after its release. It’s not a surprise though; “Reputation” is Taylor’s 4th album to sell a million copies in a week.  

“Reputation” is also 2017’s top-selling album, surpassing Ed Sheeran’s “Divide,” which was released earlier in the year. Although many believe this album is just the next one in a conveyor belt of work, there’s a bigger story behind this cathartic musical endeavor.

The album represents a timeline–the beginning utilizes ominous tones, with themes of revenge and anger.  As the album progresses, you notice a mood change. “Delicate,” track 5, portrays the emotional and vulnerable side of Swift. When you reach the final track, “New Year’s Day,” the initial angry tone has vanished.

On November 13th, Taylor was the guest on the “Tonight Show” with Jimmy Fallon, the first show for Fallon since his mother’s passing. At the beginning of the show, Fallon discussed how he and his mother would squeeze each other’s hands three times and say, “I love you.” Shortly after, Swift performed “New Year’s Day”. Taylor’s passionate performance not only touched those in the audience, but it also deeply affected Fallon, who was visually fighting back tears.  It wasn’t until Swift sang the lyrics, “You squeeze my hand three times in the back of the taxi. I can tell it’s gonna be a long road” that Fallon burst into tears. After her moving performance, Swift and Fallon exchanged a long heartfelt hug.

“Reputation” is Taylor’s attempt to move away from the image created by her previous album, “1989.” She and her producers wanted something new and fresh and they succeeded. This album has blown everyone away, as it has revealed a side of Taylor Swift no one knew existed.

From her 2006 self-titled debut album to 2017’s “Reputation,” you witness Taylor’s evolution as an artist.  Taylor Swift is no longer the curly-haired country singing teenager everyone knew, but now one of the most popular pop singers in the world. “Reputation” is just the beginning–the beginning of a new era of Taylor Swift.      

“Reputation” receives 4 tornadoes