The Student News Site of South Texas BETA

BETA’s 15th Annual ‘Renaissance Fair’

December 7, 2017

Back to Article
Back to Article

BETA’s 15th Annual ‘Renaissance Fair’

Yearbook staff

Yearbook staff

Yearbook staff

On Friday, November 17, 2017, South Texas BETA hosted its 15th annual Renaissance Fair. The task of putting the festival together was undertaken by both the Senior and Junior classes. From the courtyard to the student lounge, the whole school was transported back to the Renaissance.

The Fair consisted of various activities like the marriage booth where students got to marry one another in holy matrimony. Also available was the henna stand as well as the cake walk. Additionally, there were plenty of food and snacks for students to munch on like loaded baked-potatoes (‘Dragon Eggs’) and chicken leg quarters (‘Dragon Wings’) and pizza (‘Da Vinci’s Slice’).

There were also some exciting games

such as the hi-striker (‘Blacksmith’s Forge’) and the jousting booth (‘An Eye for an Eye’). Many students were desperately trying to ring the bell at the top of the striker and a variety of others were battling it out on the inflatable jousting station.

Yearbook staff
Freshman student, Daniel Porras, tries to ring the bell on the hi-striker.

Yearbook staff
Students try to knock each other off their platforms at the jousting booth.

But what really took students back to the Renaissance were the Fair’s decorations and the students who dressed up. The Seniors and Juniors created banners, illustrated posters, cardboard walls, and wooden signs. And amid the festivities were a myriad of BETA students dressed as nights, kings, queens, princesses, princes, duchesses, and dukes.

As the students were partaking in the festivities, Tornado Press staff asked them a few questions. –

Tornado Press: So far, how have you been enjoying the fair?

Gary (7th grade): It’s super fun. Although, I wish i could change the temperature because the Sun is beating down on my face and I’m sweating like if rain were pouring down on me.

Christine (9th grade): Last year’s festival was more fun since it had more booths, more food, and last but not least, more excitement from me and my friends.

Chloe (9th grade): I wish I didn’t buy so much of the tickets. It was a waste of money. I was expecting something more like more booths and games to play. There wasn’t much.

There were, however, positive comments about the fair from a variety of students.

Jessica (8th grade): I think it was fun. I enjoyed the booths and the performances that were done by the students.

Casey (9th grade): I liked the grand entrance to the fair and how one of the students was walking around with birds that were tweeting. I feel like the seniors did their best and put a lot of time and effort into this fair and the least I could do is enjoy my free day with my friends.

The Fair ended earlier than in years prior and students were returned to third period. The Tornado Press staff is looking forward to what next year’s Fair holds.

Yearbook staff
From left to right: Betsy Peña, Karla Barajas, and Diana Moreno