“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” Review

Courtesy of ManRepeller.com

Courtesy of ManRepeller.com

Aliyah Hernandez, Circulation Manager

Minor Spoilers Ahead

If you’ve been on Netflix for quite some time, you’ve most likely seen a Netflix Original Movie called “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”. If you enjoyed that movie and wanted more Peter Kavinsky and Lara Jean action, then I highly recommend reading the book that started the whole series: “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” by Jenny Hal.

Reading the title, you’d think that this is another cheesy teenage romance novel that has a cliché ending, you’re half right. Instead of the main character immediately falling for the popular jock, she slowly develops feelings as they grow closer. This romance novel isn’t like anything I’ve read or seen before. Instead of the idea of two characters being together getting shoved down the reader’s throat, the book portrays a relationship that grows with time, patience, and 388 pages of pure feeling.

The book starts with the main character, Lara Jean Song Covey, describing her crush on her sister’s boyfriend, Josh Sanderson, and how she deals with it. The first few chapters aren’t very exciting, but they do help the reader get to know the characters and Lara Jean’s background a little better. When her love letters are sent to the boys addressed, chaos breaks loose. There are plot twists and shocking confessions made by Josh Sanderson and other characters that make an impact on Lara Jean. I’ve put the book down multiple times just to reflect on what I’ve read before rereading.

As the chapters go on, the plot gets more intense, with Lara Jean dealing with some consequences from making a deal with ex-crush Peter Kavinsky. The book ends with Lara Jean writing another letter before she goes over to the Peter’s house with her letter.

Though this book may seem like another teenage romance novel, the plot and characters are far from cliché characters. All characters, even minor characters like Lara Jean’s friend Lucas and her older sister Margot, were not just one-dimensional characters. Each character that was mentioned becomes important later in the book and in the series.  Even Lara Jean’s neighbor, Trina Rothschild, becomes a key figure in Lara’s life in the last book of the trilogy.

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is a love letter to teens struggling with their own crushes and love life. This book is filled with love triangles, fake boyfriends, and real drama. Jenny Han brilliantly allows the reader to experience what Lara Jean goes through in the mindset of a confused sophomore.

I highly recommend this book if you want to laugh and cry and experience a completely different romance novel. I’d give “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” four and a half tornadoes out of five.