Tornado Press

Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse: A Swinging Hit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtesy of Variety.com

Courtesy of Variety.com

Sony Pictures Animation

Courtesy of Variety.com

Sony Pictures Animation

Sony Pictures Animation

Courtesy of Variety.com

Christine Leal, Staff Writer

Note: There will be a few minor spoilers in this review (nothing too major). So, this is a warning if you haven’t seen the movie yet. (But you still should see it, it’s fantastic) 

If you’re a big Spider-Man fan or even if you’re not, everyone can agree that the latest installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is amazing. The story follows a teenager named Miles Morales who is played by Shameik Moore. Moore does a brilliant job playing a teenager in Brooklyn. He brings out the relatable-ness and awkwardness of Miles that many high school students can relate too. Miles is a regular teen who admires Spider-Man, much to the dislike of his father, a police officer. One day while in the subway, he gets bitten by a radioactive spider and soon gains similar abilities to the famous web-slinger, Spider-Man. Meanwhile, the villain, Kingpin, tries to open a portal to another universe, other versions of Spider-Man from other worlds fall into Miles’ universe. These include a different version of Spider-Man, Peter B. Parker, who is played by Jake Johnson. Johnson plays a great older Spider-Man, as his version is a more “washed up”, older version of the web-slinger. His portrayal of the cynical, reluctant mentor to Miles is clever and funny. Additionally, Hailee Steinfeld plays the teenage Spider-Gwen. Steinfeld brings a cool, graceful attitude in her version of Gwen Stacy, making a good impression for her first major animated film. One of the best parts about the movie is the character development that happens within a short period of time. The audience can see the transition from the declining Peter B. Parker, who was tired and just wanted to go back to his depressing life to an inspirational teacher who greatly helps and cares about Miles. Especially when he was willing to die to help all the other versions of Spider-Man return to their dimensions. But, some of the other minor characters don’t seem to have a designated role in the movie’s plot, like Spider-Ham, Peni Parker, and Spider-Man Noir, but they add a pleasant comedic effect and their lack of importance to the main story isn’t detrimental to the movie at all.   

The plot isn’t too convoluted, it does use some cliché movie tropes and sometimes it can be a bit predictable at times, but it is the most unique version of the Spider-Man story. It doesn’t leave behind any major plot holes and the whole story makes sense, which is something that many Hollywood movie companies don’t pay enough attention to but is a vital part of the movie making process. The main villain Kingpin even has an understandable motive for trying to cross dimensions. It was for his family. And the movie acknowledges and revives the original storyline of Peter Parker getting bit by the radioactive spider and his Uncle Ben dying, but it doesn’t get too repetitive like some of the other Spider-Man movies. The introductions for each spider-persona are especially unique, since every character has their own version of the Spider-Man story, but they all have the same story at the core. It’s a common factor between the characters that unites them.  

The cinematography is one of the best things about the movie. The animation quality is incredibly unique, with a mix of a 2D comic book style, and 3D animation. The animation, especially during the action scenes is incredibly unique, unlike any other animated movie that came out in 2018. The comic-book styling of the animation is fun and colorful, with occasional text bubbles and the POW! s and BAM! s to show action. It’s like a comic book come to life. The beautiful soundtrack adds onto the already amazing animation and interesting plot of this movie, making an absolute cinematic masterpiece in my opinion.

“Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse” receives 5 out of 5 tornadoes.