Tornado Press

How Learning Guitar Has Helped Me to Change My Life for the Better

Jorge Cortez, Photographer

Guitar isn’t the first musical instrument I learned to play. My first instrument was trumpet but learning to play the guitar is by far more challenging. 

Developing calluses on your fingertips is more painful than getting your embouchure (the muscles on around your cheeks that you use to play the trumpet) to form. To this day my fingers still hurt from time to time in contrast to my cheeks which were only sore for a little bit.  

Learning to play the guitar has been more rewarding to learn for several reasons. For example, once you learn a couple chords on guitar, there are hundreds of songs that you can play chords without any complicated strumming. 

I’m not going to exaggerate and say that my life has done a complete 180 turn because I learned to play a new instrument, but what I can say is that learning guitar has helped me become a better person by strengthening my relationship with my dad.  

When I first picked up the guitar it was out of boredom, and I wanted to learn something new. It was awkward my first time playing because I didn’t know where to place my fingers to play specific chords.  After about a week my callus started coming in and I could play some chords and switch between them quicker. After two weeks, I learned to play my first song (creep by Radiohead).   

Learning to play guitar helped me get closer to my dad. He has played guitar since he was 16 years old. I remember watching him play when I was younger and wishing I could play guitar like him.  

Today, after practicing and learning to play a several of songs, I can play alongside my father. When I go over to his house, I take my guitar and we have a jam session playing songs we know and others we create. I made my dream a reality by investing the time and energy to learning the same instrument my dad plays, so we can both play side by side.  

If you want to have a better relationship with your parents, consider learning and doing something you may both enjoy.