Tornado Press

The Government Shutdown

Courtesy of CNN

Natalie Behring

Courtesy of CNN

Aliyah Hernandez, Circulation Manager

If you’ve seen the news lately, you’ve probably heard of the government shutting down. For three weeks, the government has been shut down, making it the longest shutdown the US has had on record. With tensions high in Congress about funding the wall, Americans everywhere are now facing the impact of the shutdown, like those who use food stamps and families of government workers.  

In Congress, the Democratic Party opposes the wall, mainly since Trump promised that Mexico would pay for the wall, while Republicans voted for the wall to be built with. Instead of supporting the wall, Democrats are proposing for increased hiring at entry ports and better technology to be used as a security.  

With President Trump threatening to declare a ‘national emergency’ over the wall, many families are being faced with tight budgets. While some families are forced to throw whatever they have in their pantry, others are fortunate enough to have some money to use for necessities. Most families are forced to cancel every subscription from accounts like Spotify and Netflix while others are taking loans from the bank just to pay bills.  

Families aren’t the only ones suffering because of the shutdown, though. Since the government shutdown, 35% of restaurants have closed. Like many tourist attractions and national parks, the Golden Gate Bridge is closed for tourists due to the shutdown. New York has been using their state funds to keep their tourist attractions open after their National Parks had closed Airport security has gone to a minimum.  

The FDA had stopped checking food, and flights are now being cancelled. According to a poll conducted by CNN, 55% of Americans say Trump is more responsible for the shutdown than the Democrats in Congress. 32% say the blame rests mostly with the Democrats. Another 9% say both are responsible. Overall, 56% oppose a wall, 39% favor it.  

With every passing day, Americans are suffering and facing the effects of a stubborn government