Tornado Press

• December 13Hope You All Enjoyed Enrichment Day!

• December 7Make Sure to Study for Finals!

• December 7Good Job BETA Basketball Team!

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ Will Rock You

Courtesy of Amazon.com

Courtesy of Amazon.com

Aliyah Hernandez, Circulation Manager

If you haven’t heard of the classic rock band Queen before, you may have heard it now because of the new movie “Bohemian Rhapsody” released on November 2nd. ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ tells the story of classic rock band Queen and an insight to front man’s Freddie Mercury’s tumultuous personal life and how he and Queen overcame their problems.

Bohemian Rhapsody starts off with close ups of Freddie Mercury getting ready to enter the stage on Live Aid, showing off his iconic white muscle shirt and sweatpants along with an arm brace. As Freddie enters the stage, “Somebody to Love” plays in the background as the story starts from the beginning. The first half of Bohemian Rhapsody is Queen during the early years of being a band in the 70s, showing how Freddie was introduced to the band and becomes their lead singer.

A powerful scene shows Freddie playing what can be recognized as ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ on the piano while he just spits out whatever he felt, belting out the lyrics “I don’t wanna die, I’d sometimes wish I never was born at all.”  There are small scenes later showing Roger Taylor belting out his high notes for ‘Galileo’ before showing Queen performing in front of crowds in New York City and London, England.

Of course, no Queen movie can gloss over Freddie’s troubles in the 80s, so having this biopic of Freddie and his wild lifestyle didn’t disappoint. The first half of the movie shows Freddie being under dark influences, like drugs and ‘yes men’, who aim at nothing but leeching off Freddie and his fame. As Freddie realizes what his life has come to, he cuts all ties with his assistant, Paul Prenter, who tries to pull Freddie away from friends and family.

The movie ends in a simple yet powerful shot, showing Freddie look back at his band members as the crowds cheering fades away and the screen grows dark. “Don’t Stop Me Now” starts playing as the pictures of Freddie appear on the screen with the date he died and when the Mercury Phoenix Foundation was established by Queen’s manager Jim Beach, Roger Taylor, and Brian May to help fight AIDS, the deadly virus that killed Freddie Mercury.

Though some parts are exaggerated and fictional, the movie did an excellent job handling Queen and Freddie Mercury’s legacy onto the big screen. As a fan of Queen for about 3 years, I really enjoyed how powerful the movie was (I cried twice) and I love looking back at the movie and how well the movie was made.

Bohemian Rhapsody hit the box office with over $100 million dollars in the U.S, and $500 million dollars worldwide. Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody rose up to top 100 Chart along with some other hits like “Don’t Stop Me Now” and “Another One Bites The Dust”.

“Do you think the movie will do justice to Freddie Mercury and his story”

Ernesto Ayala, 9th Grade

“I expect this movie to bring out these characters, you know? Freddie Mercury was a really great man back then, and I see him as an inspiration, like that man can sing, so I expect that they’re going to put in a really great spotlight and show his story well.”

“What was your favorite part about the film?”

William Sauceda, 9th Grade

“When Queen performed in Live Aid even though Freddie had AIDS.”